I recently started taking Yoga classes again, after a two year hiatus, and it’s been a challenge mentally, physically, and time-wise.
Are you experiencing a challenge with improving your health or fitness this year?
The primitive part of our brains that is designed to ensure our survival, wants us to conserve calories in case of an emergency and avoid changes to the status quo.
The “Voice of Fear” in my head said:
- “It’s going to be embarrassing to be the most awkward person in a group of younger, more experienced, beautifully dressed, half-naked women.”
- You’re too old to ever look good doing this.
- You’re going to be tired and sore for weeks.
- The class is really going to break up your day and interfere with your reading and teaching.
LOL. Isn’t it just amazing how Fear works! Dissuasion, Distraction and DEFCON.
Well, here’s how DreamBuilding works!
I knew I had the power within me, I just needed to create a clear vision of my future self and then take one baby step at a time.
- First win: I found a gorgeous athletic club that has 28 Yoga classes a week. The membership fee is $119/mo and my medicare insurance is paying for it!
- I found comfortable yoga pants and a shirt that made me look pretty darn good.
- There are two class formats that I hadn’t heard of before, Surrender and Root. Both hold poses for a long time and are focused on paying attention to the body and what it wants.
- The instructors are very welcoming and emphasize listening to and respecting your body and working at your own pace.
- It wasn’t true that everyone in the class was gorgeous and accomplished.
- The environment is beautiful and meditative. It’s dark and has soft candle light, inspiring music and the scent of essential oils.
- After the first class, I joked about how I was more out of shape than I thought, and someone said, “But it comes back fast.” I really needed to hear that.
All of these things are evidence of the Law of Attraction in Action — our Higher Power supporting us in becoming our best selves.
And the message that really moved me, was from the Yoga Instructor who said,
I felt so grateful for my healthy body and so proud of myself that I was taking care of it in this way..
Our body is the foundation for our whole life. Everything depends on its well-being.
If we don’t have good health and energy, everything else in life is more difficult. It’s like driving with the brakes on. And you know what that does. It burns them out and sends the vehicle into the shop for repairs.
It’s perfectly normal to have thoughts about how we don’t have time to take care of ourselves, but the truth is that time will be invested in spite of us. We can be intentional and choose to invest time in self-care activities we enjoy, or we will be forced to spend time AND MONEY for medical intervention. Self care is waay more fun. We just have to get over the initial resistance.
I did much better in the second class! I’m feeling more confident, enjoying the classes and feeling very proud of myself. I’m so grateful to have the DreamBuilder tools that empower me to accomplish my goals with ease and joy.
If you made a New Year’s resolution to get healthier, but your enthusiasm is fading and you’re struggling, here’s what to do.
- Stay focused on your vision of living your life with vibrant health and vitality. (You have it written down, right?)
- Show fear you’re in charge by taking action every day.
- Write down your “proud ofs.”
- Watch for those encouraging signals from your Higher Power cheering you on.
- Write them down on a gratitude list.
As Henry David Thoreau said,
Here’s to giving our miraculous bodies all the care and attention they deserve and enjoying the process!
P.S. Achieving vibrant health and vitality doesn’t have to involve struggle and frustration. Join me in the DreamBuilder program and get the personal coaching and supportive community that makes it simple, easy and fun. You can enroll right now! Looking forward to seeing you in the learning center!